If you think that removing a palm tree is similar to removing any other tree, then you are mistaken. A palm tree is usually tall and heavy and require
If you think that removing a palm tree is similar to removing any other tree, then you are mistaken. A palm tree is usually tall and heavy and requires the efforts of a professional tree removal service. However, you need proper know-how of tree removal.
There are three methods through which you can remove your palm tree. But before you begin the process, you need to research your palm tree. There are many species of palm trees, some of which are very valuable and you can earn through it. Take a clear picture of your palm tree and search its type and species online. A palm tree differs by shape, height, leaves and trunk. Make sure all these things are clear in your picture. Once you get to know whether your tree is valuable or not, you can proceed with the removal.
Method 1: Hire A Removal Service
When you hire a tree removal service, you can sit back and relax as you do not have to do any work. If your tree is valuable then you can contact any nursery or a tree relocation service for selling your tree so that it can be replanted. Or you can get it replanted for yourself in a feasible location. But if it is a commonly available palm tree then you can just get it removed.
- Clear the area around the tree as palm trees are heavy and can damage property and things if they fall. All furniture and debris should be cleared beforehand.
- Tree removal services or in fact removing a tree requires ample space for safety measures and ease in removing. If your tree is planted in a confined space then the removal service will charge you more. In this case, tree relocation services may decide against buying it.
- Check your state’s local laws regarding tree removal. Some laws are general for all types of trees, while some are specific for different trees. In some states you cannot cut a tall tree yourself.
- Make sure there are no power lines surrounding the tree as it can lead to damage and also electric shock.
- Palm trees are tall and heavy so they will require more workers and machinery, hence your removal cost will increase.
- Search for an experienced and reputable tree removal service and discuss all the options and the cost. Make sure to check the credentials and customer reviews. Make sure the company is insured.
Method 2: Dig It Up For Replanting
If the tree is valuable or you do not want to cut it down then you can safely dig it up for replanting. Make sure to research your tree well. Some trees cost more in replanting than they do for cutting. If the tree is near power lines or buildings or in an enclosed space then it is better to contact a professional for the digging.
- First you need to make sure you are in accordance with all the tree removal laws assigned by your state.
- Clear of the area around the tree if any furniture and debris.
- Make sure there are no power lines entangled in your tree branches.
- View the tree from every angle and check the lean of the tree. Usually, the tree falls in the direction of the lean.
- If there is no lean then dig the soil around 24 inches deep in the side where you want your tree to fall.
- Sometimes there is danger of the tree falling due to digging. To avoid this, tie a thick rope approximately 1/3rd of the height from the base and secure it around 2 meter around the diameter of the trunk on the ground with four nails tightly. If the tree begins to topple over then run for safety.
- Make a circle around the diameter of the tree. Usually, palm trees have larger roots and it will need the roots for replanting. The taller the tree the more the roots. Mark a circle around 30 inches in diameter.
- Start digging from the edge of the tree gradually and steadily. You can also rent a crane for digging.
- Dig approximately 24 inches deep so as to not damage the roots. Dig till you reach the root ball.
- Shovel with a spade underneath the root balm to set the tree free and it is read to be removed. Cut the long roots and remove safely.
- Lower the tree slowly and loosen the ropes.
- Replant it in a safe place and it will need regular care and watering.
Method 3: Cut It Down
If your tree has no value then you can cut it down. Remember to abide by the laws of the state and to clear the area of any obstruction.
- Wear your safety gloves, full sleeved safety gear, helmet, boots and glasses to avoid any accidents.
- You can trim the tree to reduce its weight and to easily cut it. Safely climb the tree and take help of friends and family.
- You will need to make a deep notch on the base of the trunk in the direction of the lean of the tree or in the direction you want your tree to fall.
- Rent a chainsaw and make a straight cut 1/4th upwards the base and then make a diagonal cut. You can tie a rope and pull the tree or you can use a chainsaw to cut the tree.
- Once the tree falls over, you can get it removed with a crane.
- Use a grinder to remove the stump of the tree. You can rent a power stump grinder and dig around and remove slowly. You can also apply potassium nitrate to kill the stump.
These were the three ways to remove your palm tree. You can choose the one that suits you best. We recommend hiring tree cutting services Montgomery County.