Taking decisions is not an easy task, especially when it comes to your home décor. When you are choosing an area rug for your home, you have to take a
Taking decisions is not an easy task, especially when it comes to your home décor. When you are choosing an area rug for your home, you have to take a lot of decisions regarding the color coordination, the size, the contrast and most importantly whether you should go for a synthetic rug or a natural Persian antique rug.
Whether you go for a synthetic rug or one with natural fibers, you should look at the pros and cons of both the textures.
Natural fibers are 100% naturally occurring and obtained from nature. They are made from naturally occurring materials which are then harvested and made into rugs. Natural rugs comprise a small part of the carpet and rug industry but nevertheless it has a niche in the market. Natural materials for area rugs include jute, cotton, sisal, silk, sea grass, coir and wool. Wool is the most commonly used natural rug.
Pros of Natural Rugs
- Natural rugs are eco-friendly as they are made from naturally occurring materials hence no use of chemical compounds which makes them safe for the environment.
- They are available in a wide array and variety of colors and designs and patterns which go with all kinds of contemporary, modern or vintage settings of a house.
- Natural fibers tend to hold and lock in moisture which makes them static free, hence there won’t be any hair standing out so you will not be getting an electrical shock.
- Natural fibers are generally durable in nature but you cannot say that about all the naturally occurring materials. Some are extremely durable and can sustain heavy foot traffic while some cannot sustain a lot of foot traffic. For instance, wool rugs are extremely durable while cotton rugs aren’t.
- The weaves of the natural fiber collect all the dust in them so the dust and allergens in the air are reduced which is actually good for breathing.
Cons of Natural Rugs
- Natural rugs occur naturally and there is no involvement of man or machine and that is the reason that they are very expensive. Generally when people opt for natural rugs they are thinking as a lifetime investment because they are exclusive pieces.
- Natural rugs are also expensive to maintain and are high maintenance. They require specialized cleaning products and equipment as each and every weave and thread is very fragile so it can also get destroyed quickly. So if you live in a house with small children and pets then natural rugs are not practical for you.
- Natural fibers are absorbent in nature and this is also a negative trait as it can tend to absorb any type of spill. The spills can leave stains as well and natural fibers are not resistant to stains.
- Natural fibers absorb dust in them which also makes the rug feel coarse and dry under the feet.
Synthetic fiber rugs are made by man and machines with chemical compounds. They are not real threads or weaves but chemically made. The most commonly used chemicals in synthetic rugs are polyester, nylon and polypropylene.
Pros of Synthetic Rugs
- Synthetic rugs are generally cheaper than the natural rugs as they are made from chemical compounds they are mass produced hence the low prices.
- They are low maintenance and can be cleaned by over the counter cleaners and soft wash cloth. Synthetic rugs are your go to option if you live in a house with a lot foot traffic, children and pets and are practical.
- Synthetic fibers are resistant to stains and spills and can easily be washed with cleaner and hot water.
- Synthetic rugs are great for outdoors as they do not absorb water, do not fade in sunlight and can last for a long time without losing their look and color.
Cons of Synthetic Rugs
- Synthetic rugs are not at all ecofriendly and when they are made then volatile chemicals are released into the air.
- You should not place heavy furniture on top of these as it may completely destroy the shape of the rug or carpet.
Now you know what to look for when choosing rugs on sale Vienna VA for your living space. Be sure to choose the area rug stores that are known for showcasing only authentic handmade rugs so that your area rug doesn’t wear out soon and you use it for years to come.